Monday, April 26, 2010

Two Week Blur: Quedlingburg and Hameln

So the past two weeks have been a bit of a blur and included daytrips to Quedlinburg and Hameln and a trip this weekend to Münster.  I haven't been too good about my blogging quota as of late, but I'm hopefully going to catch up a bit this week.

Thought I would share some photos from the past two weeks or so though!


The weekend after Osterferien I went to my third (and most likely last) Hannover 96 match.  In case you didn't know, Hannover has been struggling this year and is facing the threat of relegation to the 2nd Bundesliga next year if they don't pull it together in the last few games.  This game was against Schalke 04, a NRW team out of Gelsenkirchen which was at the time number two in the Tabelle (and now tied with FC Bayern for first).  The weather was beautiful and so was the game with Hannover pulling out a miraculous 4:2 result.







Last Sunday Bill and I met up with Jackie in Quedlinburg, a small town in the Harz region of Sachsen-Anhalt known for its Fachwerkhäuser and historical castle dating back to Heinrich I and the Ottonian Dynasty.  On the way back to Hannover, Bill and I had a stopover in Halberstadt and were treated to an amazing array of beautiful churches and buildings in a pretty small city.




Tuesday saw a long-awaited trip to Hameln, die Stadt des Rattenfängers (the Pied Piper of Hamelin).  Hameln is definitely a town that has embraced the touristy side of its history, and you can find rat and pied piper signs, statues and souvenirs on every street corner.  Apparently there are some mixed feelings about the city which you can see expressed in postcards saying things like "Hameln ist OK."  The city even had a pretty little Fachwerkhaus McDonald's in it's city center.  Did I mention the rat rolls?

Last and most likely least, since my arrival in September there has been a major construction project on a bridge joining Linden (area I live in) and Calenberger Neustadt (neighboring area my school is in) and this past week they've been tearing up the Stadtbahn lines which has been interesting to watch.  Unfortunately, it has also made my short daily walk to and from school a bit of a pain.

2 comments: