Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Spargelzeit!!!!!!!!!


There are some things Germans take really seriously: bread, beer, Christmas markets, closing up shop early on random days at random times and asparagus or Spargel as it's known in German.

Every year around late April/early May and ends official on June 24th on Johannistag (Nativity Day of John the Baptist).  During this time, German Spargel, white asparagus, dominates grocery stores, farmers markets and restaurant menus.  This time is known as Spargelzeit or Spargelsaison (asparagus season).


A few weeks ago I ventured to the twice-a-week farmers market on Lindener Marktplatz right around the corner from my house where Spargelzeit was in full swing.  Just about every single stand was full of huge, white German Spargel.  I decided to buy half of a kilogram of Spargel (about a pound) which was more than enough for two meals for me.  The first night I prepared the Spargel in a fairly traditional way but instead of opting for the usual heavy Hollandaise sauce I made a "lighter" garlic butter sauce for the steamed Spargel.


The second night I decided to grill the Spargel with olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and garlic and serve over goat cheese tortellini (also from this awesome stand at the farmers market) and a spicy tomato cream sauce.


Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment