Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Harz Club Band"



This Tuesday Bill and I decided to go on a hiking trip in the Harz--a mountain range in northern Germany.  Even though we knew it was going to be cold with an outside chance of rain, we figured you only live once, right?  That is, unless you get sick after hiking in the cold rain and die...luckily, that didn't happen.

The path we followed is called the Goetheweg and is named for the 18th Century German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe who hiked this area in 1777 (the hike is said to have inspired him enough to include it in his masterpiece Faust).  The trail begins at Torfhaus in an amazingly well preserved German moor and ends at the peak of the Brocken, the highest mountain in northern Germany at 1,141 m.  The most interesting part about our adventure was the complete change in weather from the bottom of the trail to the top of the Brocken.







By the way, we were trying to come up with good song titles containing the word heart which we could replace with Harz--I think the winning two were "Total Eclipse of the Harz" and "Shot Through the Harz (thanks Jackie, I know that's not the title)."  Things tend to get pretty random towards the end of 16 km hikes.


Notice what I dubbed the "Sweet Tea River"

5 comments:

  1. Sweet Title! We were one of the few people on the trail too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I asked nicely, could I perchance receive a guided tour of this mountain range? Perhaps in the spring?

    Oh, and hi. (waves) I'm actually in Hannover right now, but with my parents, as they are on the last leg of their visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why of course, Jen! Bill and I had such a good time, we are already thinking about trips this spring (apparently in April there is a witch-themed festival!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you had your gamecock rain jacket :)

    besos from buenos aires! (I have postcards to add to my blog, I just can't upload photos to the hostel computer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the first picture, I was very worried that you weren't bundled up enough because you weren't wearing glovies (and yes, that is not a typo). I will assume you just had to take them off to give a "thumbs-up."

    Love the title. You know I can't resist a good Beatles reference. I also like your other ideas. Sounds like an excellent pastime during the hike!

    I'm looking forward to an April blog post about this witch-themed festival!

    ReplyDelete