Monday, November 30, 2009

I've got the spirit

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, it's time to start getting into the Christmas spirit here in Germany!

There are about seven different Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas markets) in Hannover with the two biggest ones being the one in front of the Hannover Hauptbahnhof and the other in Altstadt.  Last night, I met up with Bill and Judy at the slightly smaller Christmas market on Lister Meile right where they both live.  One of the most popular traditions in Germany is to drink Glühwein (mulled wine) at the Christmas market--I'm officially now a fan.




 

Today in school one of the teachers I work with, Louisa, gave me a Hannover Adventskalendar which I'm incredibly excited about.  If there is one other German idea I love, it's having a piece of chocolate every day to countdown to Christmas!  I proudly hung it up on the wall next to my desk, and now I just need to practice self control.  The only downside to Christmas in Germany is that Christmas means winter and winter in Germany means extremely short days.  According to the newspaper here, the sun rose today at 8:07 am and set at 4:12 pm.  This picture was taken while I was waiting on the tram right around 4:00 pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment