Friday, October 2, 2009

For no particular reason and in no particular order...

I've been in Germany for just shy of a month, and it's been quite a "bipolar" month.  This first month has most definitely been characterized by wavering periods of ups and downs, highs and lows.  For example, I had a great time in Munich this month (having the chance to speak English most of the weekend was a very welcome break), but on my Sunday night train back to Hannover I just started feeling down.  I had lessons to prepare (including one for my rowdy Monday  morning class), and I still didn't have a permanent place to live.  The first part of this week dragged on fairly slowly until yesterday when things started to turn around.  So, for no particular reason and in no particular order, here is a list of things that have led me into the weekend on a high note.




1) I had an appointment to see an apartment on Lichtenbergplatz, and not only was it really nice and completely furnished, but the owner told me it was pretty much a sure thing (I just can't move in until Oct. 15).


2) I had a beer with one of the other two Americans in Hannover, and after talking with him for a while I felt reassured not to be alone in my frustration with some of these "settling in" issues.


3) My two lessons this morning went over really well, and I'm slowly starting to really feel like part of the faculty here.


4) Fall break started for me today when I left school at around 4:00 this afternoon because Fridays are my day off.  Two weeks of vacation sounds pretty nice right now, and I think I'm going to visit some friends in Berlin for a week.


5) To celebrate the end of the week/start of the break I made a giant pizza for an early dinner.  In the end it had about ten different toppings (see picture below).


6) I talked to the owner of the apartment, and the room is mine.  I can't wait until 10/15 when I'm actually in my apartment (well I guess technically our apartment since I'll have two roommates).


7) Saturday I'm going to Oktoberfest Hannover with some of the other TAs--I was bored the other night, so I went ahead and scoped it out, and it's basically like the South Carolina State Fair but cleaner, bigger and with tons of beer.  Oh yeah, and there aren't any Italians or petting zoos to stink up the place.


I had been debating through most of tonight whether I wanted to go out and have a drink, besides the Lindener Spezial I just finished, and I think it's a yes (but I definitely won't be gone long).


Also, after originally being informed by my mom that the last post was most likely unfit to be sent to Grandpa, apparently she has come around and decided that he might like to hear of my exploits.  It sounds like I have her approval, now I just have to wait and see if I have his!


I leave you with my glorious pizza from today!


4 comments:

  1. Are you on vacation? All you are doing is eating and drinking beer.

    PBH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad to hear that things are turning around for you!! We miss you terribly but I feel so much better knowing you'll have somewhere to call "home" shortly. I too will be counting down the days for your move. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on gettin the apartment!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good time to me. Done any kayaking, biking, or outdoor stuff yet? dad

    ReplyDelete