Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wanderlust

So there's this great German word Wanderlust that you only seldomly see used in English, but I think it's perfect.  Wanderlust literally translates into English as the desire to travel, and it's something I'm very familiar with right now.  After an exciting February, March has been a fairly relaxed month in leading up to my big plans for Osterferien (Easter holidays).  After lots of planning and booking, I'm really ready to get out there and do some exploring.  Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm meeting Bill and Sara at the train station to head to Berlin where we have a Fulbright Conference for a few days.  It should be a good start to the break, and it'll be nice to be wined and dined, but my sight is really set on what happens after Berlin, what some have dubbed my Eastern Europe Extravaganza or EEE or simply E^3 (well, while these sentiments have been echoed by many, the name was really coined by Jackie). 

Eastern Europe Extravaganza (E^3): Thursday morning I fly out of Berlin to Bucharest, Romania.  Then I'll spend about two weeks making my way back to Hannover via Transylvania, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic.  I'm excited about the exoticism of Bucharest, the mountains and tacky Dracula souvenirs in Transylvania, the grandeur of both Buda and Pest, the beauty of Vienna and the beer in Pilsen.  I should work for a travel company or something--there's more adjectives where those came from!

No comments:

Post a Comment